English Language Teaching Positions at Fujian Normal University
发布人:林明金  发布时间:2012-01-24   浏览次数:20

English Language Teaching Positions at Fujian Normal University


Fujian Normal University, a century-old teachers university in Fuzhou, the capital city of China’s southeastern coastal FujianProvince, recruits teachers of spoken English all the year round.


English teacher for the 2011-2012 academic year  (Feb 21, 2012 to Feb 20, 2013)

1) Requirements:

a) Native speaker of English

b) BA, TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages), or MA

c) 1-2 years’ teaching experience

2) Working hours: 16 hours per week
3) Salary and benefits:

a) 5,300 Yuan (RMB) per month (10 months)

b) 7,000 Yuan airfare per year (E-ticket with your signature, original paper ticket (if you have one), and boarding passes are needed to get the allowance.)

c) 2,200 Yuan winter vacation subsidy

          d) furnished apartment with computer, printer, and free internet









College of Foreign Languages




InternationalCollege of Chinese Studies






1)  How are class hours arranged?

       Most classes are arranged on weekdays, but some optional courses for non-English majors take place on Wednesday and Friday evenings. Double major courses are arranged on Saturdays and Sundays. You are also supposed to take some classes at institutions affiliated with FNU. They may also take place in the evenings and over the weekends. 


2)  Are the accommodations completely private?



3)  Do they have washing machines?



4)  Is the Internet service dial-up or broadband?


 5)   Do the apartments have heat?

Yes, but beyond a certain limit (150 kWh) you have to pay for the electricity.


6)   Do international teachers receive approximately 3 weeks of Spring Festival holidays, and other national holidays?

       Yes, like faculty in all other universities in China.


7)   Are salaries paid during vacations?

The winter vacation is paid. The summer is paid only to those who teach summer courses.


8)   Do the classrooms have audiovisual equipment for PowerPoint presentations?

Many do. If you need to use one, make requests in advance.


9)   How far is the university from downtown? Is there a new campus outside the city?

The old campus is within the city proper. The new campus is about 15 km from the old campus. Almost all international teachers live on the new campus. It takes about 15 minutes to walk to the classrooms. The school bus takes 20 minutes and 3 Yuan to get to the old campus. You can also take city bus No. 43. It costs only one Yuan to go anywhere in the city. You can choose to take either bus or ride a bike.


10)  How many foreigners are there in the university?

There are usually about 10 international teachers, 2/3 of them are English speakers and 1/3 are Japanese.

And there are also about 200 overseas students, most of whom are studying Chinese language in the International College of Chinese Studies.


11) What kind of students am I going to teach? At what level?

   Either English majors and/or non English majors at undergraduate level. You may also teach graduate courses or be invited to be a guest speaker in both undergraduate and graduate courses.


Checklist of Application Materials

To apply for a teaching position, you need to provide:

1.  resume

2.  copy of your passport (ID page only)

3.  health certificate (Our advice is that you obtain it asap because it could be a really time-consuming process in some countries. The physical check-up form is attached below.)

4.copy of your diploma/certificate

5.recommendation letter of your current employer (If you’re in working in China currently, you need to provide the recommendation letter in Chinese and an evaluation letter from your employer about your teaching performance.)

6.digital passport/ID photo

7.the date you can start teaching

Contact person

Sean Wang,  Dean’s Assistant, College of Foreign Languages, Fujian Normal University, China
 Email: wangs@tcd.ie

When you reach a verbal agreement with Sean Wang, Dean’s Assistant from the College of Foreign Languages, he will ask you to fill in an application form. Then the university Foreign Affairs Office will fax you a contract with the settled terms and dates. After you sign and fax back the signed contract, the university Foreign Affairs Office will send your files to the provincial departments for approval. When it gets approved, we will mail you an invitation letter, with which you can get a work visa at the nearest Chinese consulate.